Individuals who are referred to Lexington Forensic Psychiatry may expect to spend one or two days to complete the evaluation. During the time they are present, they will meet with Dr. Allen and undergo psychological testing. In some cases, additional brain imaging or laboratory tests may be required.
The offices are open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Friday. There will be an hour-long break for lunch, between noon and 1:00 p.m. The person being evaluated should plan to spend 5-8 hours for a single-day evaluation, and 12-16 hours for a two-day evaluation.
All individuals to be evaluated should comply with the following list of instructions:
- No alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior to examination.
- Bring reading glasses, contact lenses, and hearing aids, if needed.
- Bring a list of all currently-used medications.
- Bring driver's license or picture identification. A photograph will be made of the examinee.
- Get a full night's sleep. For your convenience, the Kentucky Inn on Waller Avenue across from Saint Joseph Hospital is available for a large discount nightly (859/254-1177). The Campbell House (Crowne Plaza) is a more luxurious alternative (859/255-4281).
- A notice of cancellation or rescheduling is required within Ten working days of the appointment to avoid a lost-time fee.
- The average head-injury claimant completes our testing in a day and one-half. However, if testing has not been completed within two days, he or she may be asked to return for another day of testing.